Quarantine Journal #2

Prompt: What did you do for fun today?

Today I read a book. Usually, I would not have thought to read on a long break like this, but I found myself really interested in books a few weeks into quarantine. It all started when my brother walked into the kitchen one morning three weeks ago. He put down a copy of J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. He told me it was a really quick read and that I should read it as well. So, after my brother finished the book, I picked it up and sat down in the living room and started to read it. I remembered once trying to read the book in third grade and not being able to finish the first page, but this time I found extraordinary interesting. I quickly zoomed through the book in two days and asked my brother if I could read the second book in the series, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Of course he was still in the middle of it, but once he finished he passed the book down to me so I could read it. Again, I read it in two days. I already knew all the plots, as I have watched all 8 movies, but there was something about the books that was just so captivating and interesting. Then I hit a roadblock. My brother has his own set of the Harry Potter books, but over the years some went missing. He didn't own the third book, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and he didn't own the seventh book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So, our solution to this problem was to dig out our old Kindle’s, from under our beds, and purchase the book online. I finished the third book in about three days and was extremely excited to begin the fourth, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which is personally my favorite movie of the Harry Potter series. But I was super intimidated by the page count. The fourth book had 734 pages. I was still super excited to read it, but I remembered that we only had one set of books. So I would have to read it on my Kindle—which I don’t really like because I like to have a hard copy, wait for my brother to read it and give it to me afterwards—which would take a while as it is one of the longer books and would take longer to read, or order my own set. We were driving home from St. Louis one after stopping by my brother’s school to pack up his apartment, and my brother decided to play the Goblet of Fire audio book while he drove. Once we got home, I ordered my own complete set of the books and my brother was kind enough to let me read Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire with his copy while I waited for my set to arrive, and he listened to the audio book. I finished it in a week and have since begun the fifth book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Today I sat in my room for eight hours reading. The plot is so captivating and interesting that I couldn’t put it down. I am super excited to finish this book and the rest in the series, and I am excited to see what books I will read next.

Comments

  1. i applaud you. As much as I love creative writing, I dont really like reading many books, I'm very picky about it. There are 3 books i can remember reading for pleasure and those are the only books i accept to read for pleasure unless i am thoroughly convinced there is another one i would like. Respect, i really should read more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantine Journal #3

Money vs. Morals